Decks and Steps Brochure
Guide to Building Decks
For Single Family Dwellings, and Manufactured Homes where decks exceed 36 sq. feet
2018 NC Residential Code
Johnston County Building Inspections
309 E. Market St., Smithfield, NC
(919) 989 – 5060
Drawings can be simple, like the example above.
Deck Construction Requirements
- Overall dimensions (length, width, height)
- Exact location of all footings
- Center to center distances between all footings
- Size of all footings (length, width, height)
- Size and spans of all girders
- Size, spacing, and spans for floor joist
- Type of decking material used
- Support Posts
- Bridging/Blocking if needed
- Floor joist
- Approved Hanger or Ledger Strip
- Ledger board
- Flashing(s) Aluminum not permitted*
- Rail posts
Deck Permitting Checklist
- Site Plan
- Copy of Septic Permit (Does not apply to sewer)
- Zoning Permit
- Completed Permit Application
- Copy of Plans
How much does a Deck Permit Cost?
- $12.50 Land Use/Zoning Fee
- $60.00 Building Permit
- $60.00 Electrical Permit (if needed)
- *$10.00 Homeowner’s Recovery Fee (applies to General Contractors Only)
Can I Do the Work Myself?
Yes, if you are the homeowner, reside there, and you will be the one performing the work. You must sign the Owner Consent Form and you must reside at the same property for one year after the work is completed. Jobs costing less than $30,000 may be done by an unlicensed contractor. Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical must be done by a licensed individual if not done by the homeowner, who resides at the property.
** See Appendix M for specific code requirements.
** The information in this brochure is not all inclusive and has been derived from the current edition of the NC Residential Building Code. Please consult applicable code sections for more detailed information. Information on this page is not intended to replace any part of the code sections.