What are the requirements for recording a map?
We require the map to be 18 x 24 inches on mylar to allow for legible copies. All maps must go to the Map Review Office for their certification before they can be recorded in Register of Deeds. You may contact the Map Review Office at 919-989-5150.
What maps are exempt from the Map Review Office?
Maps on which the Surveyor has certified using the following statutes:
NC General Statute 47-30 (f)(11)
b. That the survey is located in a portion of a county or municipality that is unregulated as to an ordinance that regulates parcels of land.
c. Any one of the following:
1. That the survey is of an existing parcel or parcels of land or one or more existing easements and does not create a new street or change an existing street. For the purposes of this subsection, an "existing parcel" or "existing easement" is an area of land described in a single, legal description or legally recorded subdivision that has been or may be legally conveyed to a new owner by deed in its existing configuration.
2. That the survey is of an existing feature, such as a building or other structure, or natural feature, such as a watercourse.
3. That the survey is a control survey. For the purposes of this subsection, a "control survey" is a survey that provides horizontal or vertical position data for support or control of other surveys or for mapping. A control survey, by itself, cannot be used to define or convey rights or ownership.
4. That the survey is of a proposed easement for a public utility as defined in G.S. 62-3.
(j) The provisions of this section shall not apply to boundary plats of State lines, county lines, areas annexed by municipalities, nor to plats of municipal boundaries, whether or not required by law to be recorded.
(l) This section does not apply to the registration of highway right-of-way plans provided for in G.S. 136-19.4 or G.S. 136-89.184, nor to the registration of roadway corridor official maps provided for in Article 2E of Chapter 136 of the General Statutes.
(m) Maps attached to deeds or other instruments and submitted for recording in that form must be no larger than 8 1/2 inches by 14 inches and comply with either this subsection or subsection (n) of this section. A map submitted for recording pursuant to this subsection shall conform to one the following standards:
(1) An original map that meets the requirements of subsections (c) through (f) of this section and that bears the signature of a professional land surveyor and the surveyor's seal as approved by the State Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
(2) A copy of a previously recorded map that is certified by the custodian of the public record to be a true and accurate copy of the map.
(n) A map that does not meet the requirements of subsection (m) of this section may be attached to a deed or other instrument submitted for recording in that form for illustrative purposes only if it meets both of the following requirements:
(1) It is no larger than 8 1/2 inches by 14 inches.
(2) It is conspicuously labeled, "THIS MAP MAY NOT BE A CERTIFIED SURVEY AND HAS NOT BEEN REVIEWED BY A LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR COMPLIANCE WITH ANY APPLICABLE LAND DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS AND HAS NOT BEEN REVIEWED FOR COMPLIANCE WITH RECORDING REQUIREMENTS FOR PLATS."
What does a map cost to record?
The fee is $21.00 per page.
How do I obtain a copy of the map to my property?
If your map survey has been recorded, you may get an 18 x 24 inch uncertified copy for $1.00 or a certified copy for $5.00.
Where can I get a tax map, PIN map, topography map, or aerial map?
Contact the Johnston County Technology Services department at 919-989-5153.
COUNTY HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
Marriage Licenses (By appointment only)
Vital Records Phone #
Real Estate Phone #
Passports (By appointment only)
We are located at:
207 East Johnston St. Suite 209
Smithfield, NC 27577