******Effective July 1, 2012******
As of October 1, 2005, North Carolina Law requires all Register of Deeds offices to put the following statutes into their business practices. Please be aware of these new statutes and follow accordingly. Thank you
******Effective December 1, 2005******
The Identity Theft Protection Act provides the redaction of Social Security Numbers, Passwords, Driver's License, Passports, and any type of PIN numbers. The following guidelines must be followed in order to redact these conditions.
• The request must be in writing, delivered by mail, fax, e-mail, or in person.
• Specify document where ID needs to be redacted.
• There is no fee for this service.
• This request is still public record with restricted access.
There will be a form that individuals will need to fill out in order to make this change effective. This form will be kept on file for the benefit of the Register of Deeds Office.
Documents recorded on or after July 1, 2002 must meet GS 161-14 (b) as follows:
1. Be 8 1/2 X 11 or 8 1/2 X 14.
2. Have a 3 inch blank margin at top of first page and 1/4 inch blank margin on remaining sides of first page and on all sides of subsequent pages.
3. Black type on white paper.
4. Font size no smaller than 9 points (Blanks in an instrument may be completed in pen and corrections to an instrument may be made in pen.)
5. Only one-side type or printed text.
6. Type of instrument at top of first page below blank margin.
If instrument does not meet requirement outlined above, Register of Deeds shall register the instrument after collecting a $25.00 fee for non-standard documents as required by GS 161-10 (a) (19). If an instrument fails to meet the requirement of font size (less than 10 points), the Register of Deeds may record without collecting the non-standard fee charge.
COUNTY HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
Marriage Licenses (By appointment only)
Vital Records Phone #
Real Estate Phone #
Passports (By appointment only)
We are located at:
207 East Johnston St. Suite 209
Smithfield, NC 27577