Subsidized Child Care Services (Help Paying For Child Care)

The Subsidized Child Care Services Program provides assistance to eligible children and their families. Counties receive an annual allocation of state and federal funds that is used to provide a child care subsidy which enables families to access child care and developmental experiences for children less than 13 years old. The program provides assistance with payments to child care providers.

You may be eligible if:

  • you are working or attempting to find work
  • You attend school or a job training program
  • Your child receives services from Child Protection (CPS)
  • Your child needs care to support other DSS services or your family is experiencing a crisis
  • Your child has developmental needs

Application for services is required. Families must meet income limits established by the Division of Child Development and Early Education. There may be a waiting list. When a waiting list is necessary, Information should be kept current. Contact is made with families when funding becomes available.

For more information contact: 919-989-5300


All inquiries go through the DSS main number:

(919) 989-5300

This includes Food Stamps (FNS), Medicaid, Temporary Assistance Needy Families (TANF), Child Care, Child Protection, Adult Protection, Foster Parenting, Transportation, and more.

Report Child Abuse/Neglect

E-mail or call
After normal business hours, call 919-989-5000 and ask to speak with the on-call social worker.

Report Adult Abuse/Neglect

Monday through Friday 8 am through 5 pm (919) 989-5300.
After hours, weekends and holidays, please call 911 or (919) 989-5000.

Domestic Violence

Call 911 or (919) 989-5000.